CUC is a state government corporation. The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (CUC) operates the electric power, water and wastewater services on the three main islands of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) — Saipan, Tinian, and Rota. The CNMI is one of the five U.S. territories (which include Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa). CUC is a semi-autonomous agency of the CNMI government. As a semiautonomous agency, the CUC should have an independent Board of Directors, appointed by the Governor, whose members serve a concurrent four-year term.
Through a transition period between U.S. Trust Territory management and after the ratification of the CNMI Covenant, in 1975, the CNMI enacted legislation creating CUC. Due to a number of delays in actual implementation, the CUC did not take over operations until October 1987, which up to that time operated under the Department of Public Works (DPW). In the Special Representatives Agreement negotiated between the governments of the CNMI and the United States in July 1985, the CNMI government agreed that utility systems would operate on a full cost recovery basis within three years after passage of the enabling legislation. To date, CUC has yet to achieve full cost recovery.
There are 14 islands within the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI). CUC is responsible for providing power, water and swer services to the three main islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Rota. Presently, Saipan is the only island where CUC provides wastewater treatment services.
The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation is dedicated to excellent customer service and providing reliable, environmentally sensitive and effective Power, Water, and Wastewater services for the people of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) at the lowest reasonable cost while ensuring the safety of our employees and the community.
We will continue to use teams and continuous quality improvement.
– To become the preeminent, trust power, water and wastewater utility.
– To provide excellent customer service.
– To protect and enhance the environment.
– To deliver value to all our stakeholders.
We will accomplish this using insightful planing, state-of-the-art technology, and effective communication. We are committed to treat our customers and each other with fairness, honesty, and respect. Our commitment will be rewarded through recognition, development, and equitable compensation.
We at CUC are committed to the following set of principles, and will use these to guide all our decisions and actions. In adopting these values and beliefs, we are saying that we are committed to the following:
– CLIENT FOCUS. Being responsive to the needs of our clients. They are the focus of what we do, and why we are in business.
– PROFESSIONAL CREDIBILITY. Providing quality services and conducting ourselves in a way that continually reinforces our professional credibility.
– RESPECT. Treating others with respect. This is the foundation for everything we do, as it defines who we are as individuals and as a company.
– TRUST. Earning and maintaining the trust of others. Demonstrating integrity, following ethical practices, communicating openly, and keeping our word are essential to building trusting relationships.
– TRANSPARENCY. Ensuring that in our communication and practices we are being open with each other.
– WORK ENVIRONMENT. Providing a rewarding, fulfilling, enjoyable, and sustainable work environment for our people, where everyone will be given the opportunity to grow and achieve success.
– ADAPTABILITY. Encouraging creativity and innovation so that the solutions we present and production practices we use, are kept at the forefront of the industry.